Articles on I.T. Management Topics
Some of these articles have been published in trade journals or professional society publications.
Others are exclusively published here.
Articles on Project Management and General I.T. Management
Articles on Professional Staffing
- Coders, Programmers, and Developers—Will
we ever outgrow the terminology confusion?
- Incompetent telephone interviews
persist—Surprising practice from a respected company.
- Is there a Cobol Brain
Drain?—More misinformation in the media.
- Team Co-location Still Yields
Positive Outcomes—Are the trends toward geographical dispersion
and telecommuting helping or hurting major projects?
- Cowboy Coders versus Discipined
Programming Organizations—a 1960s attitude is resurfacing.
- Personnel issue: Where did all the good
- Management issue: Fountains of Ignorance—Does
every organization have them?
for contractors—controlling a serious problem in outsourcing
- What Ever Happened
to Our Professional Positions?—Do recruiting firms understand what we do?
- Stereotyping Distorts Personnel
Management—When should first impressions stick?
- The untrainables—A growing problem
with managing the professional staff.
- Screening Professionals by Keywords—The
wrong way to identify candidates
- Must Downsizing Cripple
an Organization?—Unintended side effects of early retirement incentives
- Should We Stamp Out Developers? --
Shift in job titles generating confusion.
- Where Have All the Women Gone?
-- our issue of the month for March, 2005
- Are Application Programmers Cheaters?
-- our issue of the month for September, 2004
- What Ever Happened to Systems Analysts?
-- our issue of the month for November, 2003
- Thoughts on Interviewing a Programmer Candidate -- Our Issue of the month
for November, 2001.
- Vendor-Controlled Certification Raises Concerns
- Outside programming services: Body Shops versus Professional Services Firms
- Instilling Professionalism in a Software Development Organization, presented April, 1988, at the
ACM SIGCPR Conference on the Management of Information Systems Personnel, College Park, and even more relevant in
today's high-pressure, competitive corporate world.
- The Final Triumph of the Junior Programmer -- a puzzling
shift in titles.
- Offensive and Demeaning Designations for Computing
Professionals Reappearing -- Writers and companies
adopt insulting terms.
Articles on Methodology Administration
Articles on Organization Issues
Articles on equipment and operations
Return to Table of Contents
Last Updated 10 November 2017